Pages

Translate

Wednesday 5 August 2015

Earlier this year  the Year 5/6 classes went to Woodend Christian Camp. There were so many amazing confidence building activities that when we were driven back to school, we had to write all about our experiences at camp. Everyone put a lot of effort into writing something that they could look back on in years to come!  HAPPY READING.


                              INTRODUCTION


On Monday, the 4th of May, we had our school camp. It’s over now, but I wish we had a time machine to go back to Woodend. 

It started when I bolted out of bed screaming with joy, “Its CAMP!!!”.  Zipping down the hallway, I collided into my brother. I quickly made myself some cereal, scoffed it down, and then nagged Dad to get me to school pronto!


Room 23 and 24  were all packed, waiting outside Room 22, 18 and 17.  We were all excitedly talking. The Year 5’s had never been on camp, so were busy thinking about how it would be a time to enjoy ourselves. I was predicting what camp at Woodend would look like. I bumped into my friend  Ems #emily. My other friend Nekera had come to school with me and helped me carry my stuff.  She was in Room 15 so she would be going to camp  on Wednesday. Nekera also gave me a hand with packing.


We were all nervously waiting- until… Mr Gordon stepped up on the rail and spoke, “Hello I know you are all really excited for camp! But now we are going to send you to the toilet, then ask you to bring your luggage out to the front court”. Mrs Willis added “Try to convince your parents to take your gear”. I bolted down the alley like electricity getting to the front court as fast as I could. We all sat down and then the teachers told us the rules.


We all packed onto the bus for a long 25 minute trip to the campsite. I gave Anneliese a big squeeze in excitement, she gave me one back. When we arrived, Cody, one of the staff, lead us into the main hall, to read over the “Yes areas” and the “NO & Wait areas”.  We had to respect the rules because you nobody wanted to get lost, scared or hurt. 10 minutes later we got sent to our bunk rooms - to check it out - and make our beds.


After that, we went to do our first 2 activities.  This was so exciting because we were on a huge zip line flying fox.  Lots of people were running in mid air.


Our next activity was Aero-jump. Aero-jump is exactly like the bungy jumps you in find in the malls. Everyone was stepping up and giving flips a go. The people who were skilled tried to do a front flip, only a few accomplished them.

After the  activities, Mr Gordon rang the bell to get our attention to come back to main hall for afternoon tea. In groups, he called us up to snacks. I have to admit that the snacks were scrumptious.

At dinner the caregivers and teachers took a table up to choose their foods. The first night we had nachos. It was a funny sight to see because the parents looked like those dinner/lunch ladies in the American high school  television shows.


After dinner we played a game called Spotlight. This game needs to be played at night when its pitch black with some torches. There needs to be at least 8 people to play. We had 60 something so it was a big and really fun game. There was about 8-10 spotters while everyone else went and hid in the forest - behind logs, in thorn bushes - ouch! That was me! Luckily we didn’t get found under the water slides.


After Spotlight we had some hot chocolate and then got told to go to bed. It was very hard to get to sleep because we all were so grateful to be at the camp. The first night I was on the top bunk. The next morning I woke up early - as usual  - and had to wait 30 minutes to have a shower.


After my shower, the people from my bunk room all headed to the main hall for breakfast. At breakfast the people who I was sitting with said, “Wow this is luxury”.  I agreed.


We then gathered onto the main hall's front court for our first group activity. I was in the cool group of Sean, Ruby, Alessandro, Daniel B, Lucas and Amaan. We had a variety of activities throughout the camp, including archery, air rifles, orienteering, rock climbing, go karts and initiatives.


In archery, I was the only one who got the arrow on the board. With the air rifles, I had so much fun, but didn’t get hit one apart from one of those flower targets.

On rock climbing I got up to stage 4, having to trust my arm which is quite challenging when you think about it. On the last day we had to clean our rooms spotless. I told my buddies from my bunk room that I was  gonna miss the place. 

Before we knew it, we were  all on the bus going back home- and that’s how Woodend camp rolled!!!!!!! Awesome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments
Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about